WHAT SORT OF PERSON CAN DO THIS COURSE?
You will need to try your best at all times and be able to work by yourself
as well as part of a team. You will enjoy going out of school to collect information
and be able to present reports - perhaps on video or audiotape. You will have
the chance to stay at Hothersall Lodge Field Centre for a few days. You will
undertake field studies during the course.
WHAT IS THE COURSE ABOUT?
We follow the 'Avery Hill Geography Project'. In the course you will study
4 units of work:
- People & Places - how people live in cities including designing
a board game.
- People, Work and Development - how jobs are created in Burnley
and throughout the world, including a local visit to investigate industry.
- Climate, the Environment and People - can you forecast the weather?
Use the computer to download weather information.
- Water, Land Forms and People - fieldwork based on river studies
including designing a newspaper report by computer/audio method to present
your case. You will be able to visit the Yorkshire Dales National Park at
Malham as well as assessing the provision of facilities in Burnley for people
who are disabled by using wheelchairs.
HOW WILL GEOGRAPHY G.C.S.E. HELP ME?
GCSE Geography will give you useful skills for work, sixth form or college.
You will be asked to: -
- search for information from computers, photos and maps.
- work in a group to collect information and prepare topics.
- explore built up areas and the countryside.
- be a character in an issue and present their case.
- argue your case and put forward your ideas.
- present a report to meet deadlines.